Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Kontroll of the situation

A couple of my friends are coming over to watch the movie Kontroll tomorrow night. If you haven't seen Kontroll and you like foreign films and/or dramatic thrillers, you should check it out (this will be my third time), and I would love to hear what your impression of it is.

One thing Kontroll is NOT, however, is a kid's movie. So, as the kids are eating dinner tonight, I am rambling on about what we have planned for the rest of the week, and I say, "And Aunt Tania and Miss Vicky are stopping by tomorrow night!"

The kids stopped eating and look at each other, then Miranda chirps, "They're coming to see us?"

I back-pedalled a little. "Well, they are coming to watch a chick-flick with mommy, but we'll do that after you guys go to bed." For the record, Kontroll is not a technically a "chick-flick" either, but that's what I said, probably because my guests are women with whom I occasionally watch movies my husband has little interest in. Having already endured this movie twice, it has essentially become a chick-flick for my husband.

Of course, the kids know that a chick-flick is a video, so Xavier pipes up, "A video! Can I watch it?"

"No, Xavier, it's not your kind of movie," I replied. "It's scary -- you wouldn't like it."

"What's it about?" Miranda asked.

"Well, it's about a subway," I hazarded.

"I love subways!" Xavier replied. This is true -- Xavier loves trains.

"What else is in it?" Miranda asked.

"Ummm, passengers," I answered. I was trying to dodge telling them about the scary parts of the movie.

"I like passengers!" Xavier chants.

"What else is in it?" Miranda prompted.

Suddenly I hit upon the right response -- not specific enough to give them nightmares, but explicit enough to make them understand it is not their kind of movie. "It has bad people in it."

Evidently it was not a good enough answer after all: "I love bad people!" Xavier exclaimed.

He still doesn't get to watch the video tomorrow night.

No comments: