Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Blue Wonder Power Milk

My husband and I buy our milk in glass bottles. The milk the kids drink is skim, and it comes in a half-gallon bottle with a green top; the half-and-half comes in a quart bottle with a blue top. Miranda loves milk, and would drink nothing but milk if she could get away with it. Xavier? Not so much. In the rare occasion when he asks for milk, he usually changes his mind as soon as he sees it and asks for juice instead.

Anyway, we had a babysitter over on Sunday night, and we failed to explain the milk situation. What's to explain? The bottles are clearly labelled on the lids, or so we thought. After she left on Sunday, we found the empty half-and-half bottle on the counter. We had a good laugh, and thought that was the end of it ...

... until my husband and Xavier went to the grocery store today. As my husband was loading milk into the cart, Xavier asked, "Daddy, can I have some milk?"

Surprised, my husband said, "Sure, Xavier, after we get home."

"Okay, Daddy!" Xavier responded cheerfully. After a couple of moments, he added, "I really like Blue Milk."

My husband looked into the cart, then said, "Oh, Xavier, that's half-and-half. That's for people to put into their coffee."

"I really like it."

"Yes, but it's not for drinking."

"I really like it."

My husband tried pointing out that it was fattening, not good for you, and other arguments, but Xavier's only response was to smile and reply, "I really like the Blue Milk."

Disclaimer: The title of this entry is the name of an album (and song) by Hooverphonic, and just seemed appropriate. I have no idea what it means, and if it is something deviant, I plead complete ignorence.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I like the blue milk too. And I don't put it in my coffee. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a milk story from my childhood. One of our neighbors had a milking cow and would give my parents bottles of their fresh milk.

My siblings and I would never drink that milk. My memory is foggy, but I seem to recall it looked icky-- like you could see yellow streaks in it or something.

One day, for reasons I do not know, my father put the fresh milk into an empty 7-11 gallon milk container.

Not knowing the difference my siblings and I drank it with much enthusiasm.

In fact, I supposedly declared to my mother:

"This is the best 7-11 milk ever!"