Saturday, March 18, 2006

Fab-loo-us!

Today I went to the mall to buy new running shoes at Lady Footlocker, and, as usual, the kids insisted on tagging along. After we got the shoes, I decided to try to go to Bath and Bodyworks to see if they had anything new.

When I say "try" to go, this is because Miranda always behaves as if this shop is a torture chamber, and I have to admit, she has a point. The air is so redolent with the various odors of various soaps that it is nearly impossible to isolate the scent of the sample you are trying to decide if you like enough to buy or not. Still, for some reason (probably obstinence) I insisted on trying to smell the soaps with auspicious-sounding names. Every time I uncapped a bottle, however, we went through a similar routine:

Me (sniffing): Hmmm.

Xavier: I want to smell! I want to smell!

Miranda: I can't breathe! It smells terrible in here! I need a Kleenex!

Me (to Miranda): We'll be leaving in just a minute, Sweetie.

Xavier (sniffing the offered bottle): Mmmm! That smells fab-loo-us (fabulous)."

Finally after we had gone through this same sequence four or five times, I said, "Xavier, I don't think you even have an opinion here -- you think they all smell fabulous." I had pretty much decided on what I wanted and was on my way to checkout, when I spotted one more bottle that looked intriguing. I uncapped it, and took a whiff.

Me (making a face): Hmmm!

Xavier: I want to smell! I want to smell!

Miranda: Mommy, you promised we were leaving! I need a Kleenex!

Me (to Miranda): We are leaving -- I just have to pay for these.

Xavier (making a face): Eeeeewwww, stinky!

Me (skeptically): Do you really think that stinks, or are you just saying that?

Xavier (with a smile): No, it's not really stinky. Really it's fab-loo-us!


We did pay and got the heck out of Dodge, but even after the store was well behind us, Miranda was wailing for a Kleenex. I checked my purse, but no joy, so I said, "I'm sorry, Miranda, but you'll have to wait until we get to car." We were heading that way anyway.

Miranda cried, "Until we get to the car?! I can't wait that long to get this stink out of my nose!"

But, as usual, she survived.

2 comments:

Joel said...

:)

r.m said...

Fab-loo-us post