Thursday, May 04, 2006

Painters, Phase 2

The painters came by today to give us an estimate for the second round of painting in our house (Master Bedroom, Master Bath, hallways, and Living Room.) We have a lot of work to do in the half bath, the kitchen, and the great room before we can start there, so I guess we are calling that "Phase 3."

Anyway, when I was leaving for work this morning, Xavier didn't want me to go, so I told him, "But, Xav, the painters are coming today to give us an estimate. You'll be so busy supervising them that you won't get a chance to miss me."

Upon hearing the word "painters," Xavier perked up and said, "They're coming back?"

"Yes, but just to give us an estimate," I stressed. "They won't be doing any painting today."

I gave Xavier the tour of the house, showing him which rooms we were going to have painted. I reiterated again that the painters would not be painting today and my husband also stressed that we would not be painting today. Evidently, though, once the word "painter" was used, it was kind of like that Far Side cartoon where some guy is talking to his dog and all the dog hears is, "Blah, blah, blah, Ginger, blah, blah, blah." Xavier was having none of it.

While the painters were here, Xavier followed them around with the usual questions and supervisory observations:

"What is that funny rolly thing?" ("It's a tape measure for measuring the room.")

"Why did you forget the paint?" ("Because they aren't painting today.")

At one point, my husband stopped in the kitchen and told the painter about our plans for that room, and Xavier interrupted with, "But we aren't painting the kitchen this time!"

Finally the painter finished taking his measurements and said goodbye. Xavier stood by the window as the van pulled away and asked, "Where is he going? When is he coming back? Why didn't he paint?"

It's hard being a manager.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hehe... nice blog. visit my blog http://may2u.blogspot.com/