Saturday, April 22, 2006

Questions

My husband often says that when he was told four-year-olds question everything, he wasn't too worried. "Why is the sky blue?" is the hypothetical question most often cited, and he said, "But I know the answer to that one!" I'm not sure he could explain it simply enough for our five-year-old to understand, but that's okay, because she has never asked that question.

Instead, she asks us questions like:

"If I touch this, will I turn into a dragon? Why not?"

"Are there any volcanos in our town? Why not? Are you sure?"

"What does 'reason' mean?"

"Why do children die sometimes?"

"Are there any dinosaurs still alive? Why not? Are you sure?"

"What does 'sucks' mean?"

"What does 'imaginary' mean?"

"What does 'real' mean?"

Actually, definitions are a big part of our lives these days. Still, Miranda came up with a good definition of her own the other day:

"A snake is an animal with a really long neck that ends in a tail."

No comments: