Monday, April 03, 2006

Everyone Knows its Windy!

It's pretty windy here tonight, and not long after we had the kids in bed, Miranda was on the landing, crying that she was scared. I went upstairs and lay down in the spare bed in her room -- Xavier is showing self-sufficient tendencies and insisted upon sleeping in his room -- and said, "You don't need to be afraid, sweetie. Remember what I told you about the wind?"

What I've told the kids about the wind -- and the incredible creaking noises that our house makes -- is that the wind is giving the house a massage, and the thumping and creaking is just the house moaning in relief. I don't know if Xavier buys it, but Miranda knows it is complete hogwash. Sometimes she'll play along, but tonight she just gave me a wan smile.

"I'll stay here for five minutes until you calm down," I said, "But, really, if there was anything to be afraid of, I would be up here so fast to get you and Xavier that your little heads would spin."

That seemed to reassure her a little, and she settled back on her bed. I lay on the spare bed trying hard not to fall asleep, pondering the things I needed to get done -- printing party invitations, filling out Miranda's application for kindergarten. Just as I thought she was falling asleep, Miranda piped up, "Mommy?"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"I know you think the wind sounds like it is giving the house a massage, but sometimes, when it rumbles really loudly, it sounds like a dinosaur, don't you think?"

"Yeah, I guess it does," I replied.

A few minutes later, I left. She was still awake, but already dreaming about her first love, paleontology.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Because as soon as she hears "thermal" and "heating", she'll ask if the house is going to turn into a dragon.

She is a strangely imaginative child for one who is so interested in science.