Thursday, April 06, 2006

Painting

We are getting ready to do some painting. Our house is almost 15 years old, and, as near as I can tell, is still running on the original paint.

Initially we thought we could paint the house ourselves, but having owned the paint for Xavier's room for close to a year, having taped the room once in preparation (and taking down the tape because it was clear we would not get to painting the room before the masking tape became one with the wall), having called in the roof repairman to fix a hole in the roof that was leaking water between Xav's room and the bathroom (no point in painting if it's going to get wet), we realized that we would never have time to paint the whole house and agreed it was time to pay someone to do it.

The paint store recommended a professional, so he came by today and looked things over. My husband commented that he seemed to know what he was doing and made some general observations and suggestions.

Then my husband added, "It's a wonder he got anything done, though, because Xavier kept bringing him things. 'Look! This is my Thomas (the Tank Engine) catalog!' 'Look! This is the Ice Cream Factory station (in the catalog). I don't have it yet, but I hope I get it for my birthday ...'"

Sadly, just the day before, we had had a discussion on how to deal with Strangers.

I also enrolled Miranda in Kindergarten today. I had no idea there was so much paperwork involved. In addition to having to show her birth certificate, her social security card, proof of residency and a notorized document declaring she has never been expelled from school (never mind she is starting KINDERGARTEN and the notory public is not likely to know what kind of deviant behavior Miranda has been involved in) , I also had to read Miranda the school's standards of behavior for Internet and email usage AND HAVE HER SIGN OFF THAT SHE UNDERSTANDS IT. What are they thinking of? She is four years old! I thought we were enrolling her in public school, not the military academy!

Of course, when I asked her if she understood rules, she didn't.

I helped her sign the forms anyway.

1 comment:

Jilian said...

I love your stories - they always make me chuckle!