Friday, September 02, 2011

School Daze

I was looking at one of Xavier's school notebooks. The teacher had put a form on the inside to identify the student, and Xav filled it out as follows ...

NAME: Xavier Barnes

WHAT DO I WANT TO BE WHEN I GROW UP? An Actor

WHAT SHOULD I DO TO DO WELL IN THIS CLASS? Pay attention to my posture, listen and learn.

Now, for some subjects this might be appropriate. Science? Not so much. "So, Xavier, how would you conduct this experiment?" "Well, first I better check my posture ..."


While Xav was doing his homework the other day, he commented, "You know what, Mom? It's easy to spell 'pieces' because it has 'pie' in it. Get it? A 'piece' of 'pie.'"

I agreed that it was clever, until I took a look at his math homework. At the top, I read, "Name: Pieces". What could I do? I added, "(aka Xavier)."


The kids are having sleepovers at our house tonight. I peeked in at Gwen and her friend. "Good night, girls!"

Almost without looking up from their books: "Good night, Mom." "Good night, Gwen's Mom."

Looking in at the boys, who were sitting huddled on the bed looking at Xav's Nintendo DS, I stepped in and put my hand on Xav's shoulder, playing it cool. "Good night, boys."

Xav's friend: "Good night, Xavier's Mom."

Xav: "Aa-aa-aa!"

Looking back, I saw his gesturing with his hand in a "get back over here" kind of way. "You don't think you can get away without a hug?"

I went back and hugged him. "I didn't want to embarrass you in front of your friend."

"Yeah, well, I've seen Dan here 'embarrassed' a few times. It's okay."

Sigh ... better enjoy it while I can.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Awww...that "Pieces" is so sweet!