Saturday, September 10, 2011

Religious Wrong

Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble for this; after all, I am a Sunday School teacher. Of course, if I get fired, I won't be missing much, because the pay is lousy.

Anyway, I was reviewing my Sunday School lesson for tomorrow, which is about the high priests quizzing Jesus. As soon as I saw the title, I said jokingly, "I wonder if I should play the High Priests' song from Jesus Christ Superstar to put the kids in the mood." (The song is technically called "This Jesus Must Die" for the sticklers out there.)

Adam said, "Why not?"

Of course, I happened to say this in front of the kids. My show-tune loving young man yelled, "Why don't we listen to it now?!?"

So, for the next half hour, the kids and I boogied around and sang that song (and the song after, "Hosanna") over and over and over again. Then it was time to take Xavier to a birthday party, and THAT'S when the trouble started.

Xav: I can't get that song out of my head. "Must die! Must die! That Jesus must die!"

Gwen: Me either!

Me: Well, you better not sing it at the birthday party -- someone is liable to be offended.

Xav: But it is so hard!

Me: Let's sing something else, then.

Xav: Doe, a deer -- no, wait! Who can take a rainbow ...

Gwen (thoroughly sick of the Willy Wonka play): No!

Me: Who can take a rainbow ...

Finally, in self defense, Gwen joined in. I figured by the end of the trip that Xavier was safe.

No such luck. When I picked Xav up from the party, he told me, "Darn! I had to sing 'Hosanna' at the party, and I thought I was by myself, so I sang, 'Jesus, I am on your side, Kiss me, kiss me Jesus!' And suddenly Ian was there, and he was like. 'What?!?'"

"Oh well," I replied. "It could have been worse ..."

"Yeah," Xav replied. "I tried to explain to him about Jesus Christ Superstar, but he didn't really understand it. I expect he'll tell everyone about it, and by the time Monday rolls around, who KNOWS what they'll be saying about it? But I really don't care."

A good attitude to have, I guess, but I don't look forward to the phone calls ...

No comments: