Sunday, February 07, 2010

Three people can keep a secret if two of them are dead

Spoiler Alert! If you have not read the Harry Potter series, there are some plot points revealed below that you may not want revealed if you plan to read the books. Of course, if you have not read the books, you may not understand this post a lot anyway.

The kids have been working their ways through the Harry Potter books. The first three went by quickly enough -- Gwen reading to herself, Xavier asking Adam or me to read them out loud. When we told them that someone dies in the fourth book, Gwen held back, but seeing that Xavier was listening, she persevered and finished "Goblet of Fire" anyway.

Then we started on "Order of the Phoenix." I warned the kids in advance that someone closer to Harry dies in this book, but after ascertaining that it was not Ron or Hermione, Xavier was keen to read it anyway. Now, so far I have made a point of not telling the kids in advance who dies, I just let them find out when we get to that point. Gwen initially said she would abstain, but after listening in to a few of my sessions reading to Xavier, I noticed that she started hanging about when we were doing our reading. As we approached the end, every time a character appeared to get into trouble -- or sometimes just appeared -- Xavier would ask, "Is he going to die?" or "Is she going to die?" I was a little surprised that when it was Sirius, he seemed unable to believe it.

Anyway, we finished the the book tonight. Xav wanted to start reading "The Half-blood Prince" right away, but I deferred, pointing out that I need to get over a cough and we should wait a few days anyway. Xavier wandered off, and Gwen said, "I'm not sure I want to read 'The Half-blood Prince.' These books seem to be getting darker and darker, and I'm not sure I want to see anyone else die."

I glanced around to make sure Xavier wasn't listening, then said, "If it won't ruin it for you, Gwen, I can tell you who dies in this book and you can decide if it is worth it."

She looked up at me and said, "Dumbledore." It was not a question, it was a statement of fact.

"How do you know?"

"My friend Violet told me."

A little while later, while the kids were getting ready for bed, Xav asked me again to read "The Half-blood Prince." I said, "Maybe in a couple of days, Xav, but I have to warn you, someone even closer to Harry than Sirius Black dies in this book."

I expected him to ask if it was Ron or Hermione, but instead he said, "Dumbledore." A statement, not a question.

"How did you --?"

"It wasn't me!" Gwen cried out. "I didn't tell him!"

I turned back to Xav. "How did you know?" I asked, thinking he may have been listening earlier.

"I told him," Gwen replied, despite what she said just a few seconds before. "I told him last night."

Silly kids, they can't even keep a secret to back up their own secret.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You must have parental reading skills of iron. I couldn't get into the HP books AT ALL.

Anyway check out Pete's (Carla's husband) blog thescieology.blogspot.com - we seem to be going over similar questions. To a certain extent, I am tweaking him. I need ot get on the ball with our book. Sigh

Mandy said...

Pshaw, Harry Potter is nothing compared to a the Bionicle Encyclopedia or the History of Transformers.

Besides, I liked Harry Potter, at least through the first three books. And I could even read the Bionicle Encyclopedia if I could snuggle up to one of my kids.

Unknown said...

We are reading some library books like "Llama Llam Red Pajama" and "Llama Llama Mad at Momma."
I think I enjoy them more than he does.