Sunday, March 14, 2010

Child Labor

Yesterday Xavier had a friend over. We'll call him Mark.

Whereas Xavier is obsessed with Legos, Mark likes to play outside. As a result, it was not uncommon for Mark to come ask to help me muck out the flowerbeds, and when I'd ask Mark where Xavier was, he's say, "Playing with legos someplace."

Finally Xavier came outside to play with Mark. They rode their bikes in the driveway (and the lawn, when they thought they could get away with it), they ran around throwing legos at each other, all while I was clearing the ancient mulch out of the flowerbed.

At some point, I was dimly aware that they'd gone into the backyard. I didn't think much about it at first, but then I noticed that whenever I could hear their voices, I could also hear a mechanized ch-ch-ch sound. "I wonder what that is," I thought. After awhile, I became more curious. "Xavier doesn't have a remote controlled toy that could weather the yard," I thought. "It's not like either boy has an automated car or an ATV ..."

Finally, my curiosity got the better of me and I went to look. The two boys were pushing my reel mower back and forth across the yard. The reel mower is probably too much for either one of the boys, but while Matthew -- the taller -- pushed on the regular handle, Xavier -- the shorter -- pushed on the support brace halfway down from the handle. They looked pretty funny doing it.

When they spotted me, Xavier cried, "Look, Mom! We're mowing the grass so you don't have to!"

Never mind that it is March and the grass looks like it should be in intensive care; it's the thought that counts.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Hahaha cute!