Sunday, July 16, 2006

Shear Artistry

Where else but in a movie can you have your hair done by a small man with using a sword as an instrument of beauty? Well, and at my house.

Xavier is also starting to rebel against the health food diet my husband lovingly prepares for us. As he offered to "color" my hair "chocolate cherry brown" (Where does he come up with this? I have never colored my hair), he asked me, "Do you like it, Mommy? Does it smell good?" (This pretend dye offered for my approval on the tip of the plastic sword he was using as a comb, curling iron, and "hair washer".) I replied, "Of course, it does." He nodded knowingly, "It is all oil and no fiber!"

Miranda had one of her best friends over for a sleepover Friday night. "Anne" is a hoot. I was getting Anne and Xavier lathered up with sunblock before taking them out to do driveway art (Miranda had run off for her sandles) and Anne suddenly announced, "Xavier, I've decided -- I'm going to marry you someday."

Now, Xavier has proposed to her at least twice that I know of, but his response was, "I'll never marry you!"

Anne showed no sign of consternation or disappointment. Indeed, she replied, "No, Xavier, you don't understand. Once a girl decides she is going to marry you, that's it -- you have to marry her. You have no say in the matter, it's the girl who decides." At least I now know where Miranda gets it.

1 comment:

r.m said...

Marriage seems to play a significant part of your kids' lives - I can't recall my girls ever having talked about marrying anyone. You and Adam must make it seem like something desireable...