Saturday, August 06, 2011

When Play Becomes a Chore

Gwen is going through an age where some of the activities that entertained her even a few months ago are now "boring". For example, a little while ago Adam suggested that they go to the playground "now" (9:00am) so they could avoid being lathered in Sunblock (something they HATE.) The only way we could get Gwen to go was to promise her that I would call them in half an hour, when I would go with her on a walk.

Fifteen minutes later, I saw them returning to the house. I went out on the deck to see what was up.

Xavier: Gwen was afraid it would storm.

Me: But the sun is shining!

But the best part was when they came in, and Gwen said, "Xavier? Legos?" This amazed me, because Gwen NEVER asks to play Legos -- Xavier is the one always begging HER to play. But before I could ask, she followed it up with, "We might as well get it over with."


The funny thing is, at the same time Gwen is pursuing more mature pasttimes (like playing on the Wii), she is in a deep depression because she is starting to show signs of growing up. We were going through her fall clothes to see how much of her wardrobe we were going to have to replace (quite a lot, as it turns out.) To her great disappointment, one of her favorite sweaters is a bit too small.

Gwen: But I still love it!

Me: But it doesn't fit!

Gwen: It feels comfortable to me.

(Adam and I confer.)

Me: All right, Gwen, you may keep the sweater, but only if you wear it with a training bra.

The sweater is now sitting in the Good Will pile.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Re: The training bra- I was reluctant to grow up and "become a woman" as well! I am glad I did though. :)