Thursday, December 31, 2009

Young Art Critic

My friend Vicky sent me a book for Christmas called "Skulls" that is full of pictures of, well, skulls that are artistically created from non-bone media (for example, organic eggs, watermelons, seagulls, etc.)*

Anyway, Xavier happened on this book today and started leafing through it. It did not take very long for him to get excited. "Look at this, Mom!" he crowed. "It's a Skull-O-Lantern!" and "Look! A coconut skull!" Soon he gave up all pretence of being selective and was calling things out consecutively:

"A spilled milk skull!"

"A cocoa skull!"

"Oooo, Mom, look at these skull pancakes!"

Finally he set the book aside with a sigh. "Wow, I love this artist!" he murmured in tones of awe. "She's AMAZING!" (The artist's name is Noah Scalin, but gender issues aside, he's clearly won Xavier over.)

Now inspired, Xavier is creating his own skull out of the more mundane medium of Model Magic clay.


*If this seems like an odd gift for Christmas, well, you probably don't know me very well. And, Vicky, I will make time to send you a more traditional thank-you card :).

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Hahaha--- I LOVED your traditional thank you card! And thanks for the tip on this blog post (The Computer Literacy classes have put me quite behind on all my blog subscriptions).


I was a little like Xavier when I first flipped through the book! It is quite an impressive collection!