Sunday, October 18, 2009

Fame

Of course, you've heard about the "Balloon Boy" hoax. You've probably heard of that survey that found that one third of kids responded with "Famous!" when asked what they wanted to be when they grow up.

In Gwen's defense, I think she likes reading this blog more than she likes the thought that others are reading it. The other day she asked me when I would write in the BLOG again.

"I don't know, honey. When I have time. Or when one of you does something remarkably funny."

A few minutes later, a song came on the radio and she started jamming to it. I tried to keep a straight face, but I couldn't. Gwen looked over and said, "What, you think I'm funny?"

"I'm afraid so," I laughed, more than a little afraid of hurting her pride.

"Good!" she responded. "Put it on the BLOG!"

It took us awhile to explain to her that describing her dancing was not the same as seeing it. All the same, it was still pretty funny.


Now for news of my niece Chloe ...

Have you ever been on the phone with someone and felt powerless to control what was going on at the other end of the phone?

Well, the other day I was talking to my niece Chloe on the phone. Chloe has days when she is kind of chatty, but she also has days when she is distracted. This was clearly a distracted kind of day, so I finally asked, "Chloe, are you watching TV?"

"No, I'm playing with my Mom's Nintendo DS. I figured out her password on this game, and I'm changing it."

"Oh ..." I said. "I'm not so sure that's such a good idea Chloe."

"I'm changing it to 'RREEQQEEABCEERIJ..." and she rambled on a few letters.

"Um, Chloe, I sure hope you're writing this down."

"No," she replied glibly.

"How are you going to remember it, then, when your Mom wants to log back in?"

"I'll just remember."

Great. "Um, Chloe, maybe this would be a good time to turn me back over to your mother."

There was a pause, and at first I thought maybe she was doing what I suggested. Then, "I just changed her language options to Chinese!"

Groan ... well, I hope her mom doesn't need to play that game for awhile ... or that Chloe was pulling my leg.


The other day, the kids and I went to the local bookstore to buy some Christmas presents and pick up some books that had just come in. We could not have been in the store for twenty minutes, and I did not leave the lights on, but after loading the kids into the car, I turned the ignition and got nothing but the tick-tick-tick of the flywheel.

I looked in the backseat, where the kids were comfortably reading. Outside it was cold and rainy, and we really were parked right in front of the bookstore, so I said, "Kids, the car won't start. Do you want to come in with me or stay out here?"

"Stay out here," they chorused without looking up.

"I'm going to lock you guys in, okay?"

"Okay," they replied, still not looking up.

So I locked the kids in the van, stepped into the bookstore and tried to call Adam on his cell. Nothing. Then I borrowed a phone book and called the nearby automotive repair shop to ask for a jump. Fine, they'd be there in ten minutes. I went out and climbed back into the van to wait.

Ten minutes later, I saw the repair shop van pull up behind me. As I opened the door, Xavier shifted in his seat and said, "Mommy! Why are we still here?"

"I told you, honey. The car won't start, so the guy from the auto shop is here to jump the battery."

"The car won't start?!?" Gwen cried, a look of panic crossing her face. "What are we going to do?"

I reassured her that we would be on our way in a minute, and we were. Whew! I don't know whether to be disappointed at how little they listen to me, or just glad that they love reading so much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy,

I'll just comment on the last part- the others would take too long.

Of course reading trumps what Mommy says! If they are anything like mine, reading trumps food let alone what the parents say. ;-) Now, whether reading trumps ME is a question I've never had the guts to ask...