Monday, February 23, 2009

Movie Madness

This has been a pretty movie-heavy weekend for us (yes, someone is sick again, just a cold.) On Saturday night, we watched, "The Sound of Music." I always thought of that as kind of a family movie, but given Xavier's response, I guess not. His comment (the day after) was, "I liked the Sound of Music except for the sad parts."

One concept that was especially hard for Xavier to grasp was why Maria felt like she could not marry Captain Von Trapp (a match he was keen on from the first time Captain Von Trapp blew his whistle -- "Mommy, is she going to marry him?") We aren't Catholic, and so the concept of "nuns" is a bit alien to him. At one point, when Maria was back at the abbey, he asked again, "Why can't she marry Captain Von Trapp?"

"Because she is a novice, in training to be a nun," I explained patiently.

"And nuns can't get married?"

"No, they're kind of like priests, except they're women -- they don't marry."

"Not anybody?"

"Well, I think they are sort of married to Jesus."

"But no men in real life?"

"Nope."

Xavier pondered this. "Is that why they are called 'Nones'?"


We also watched "Batman: The Movie" this weekend. No, we're not talking about one of the ones with Michael Keaton. Nope, not the one with Val Kilmer, nor the one with George Clooney; not even one of the Christian Bale movies. Yep, we are talking about the 1966 "classic." Needless to say, Xavier loved it: Penguin and Riddler and Joker and Catwoman, oh my!

Lately I have been riding my bicycle to work, and I have succumbed to wearing skin-tight biking outfits (it's not quite as scary as it sounds -- I've toned up quite a lot.) Today I was wearing a black top with black pants when the kids got home from school.

Xavier looked at me appraisingly, and remarked, "You know, Mom, if your butt was less big, you would look quite a lot like Catwoman."

Another one of those moments when I am not sure whether I should feel flattered or insulted.


Finally, the kids were talking about "bad fashion choices" in movies over supper tonight. Someone commented that Padme from the "Star Wars" movies had really bad hats, and I remarked, "Still, they were nothing compared to her hair."

"Oh, yeah!" Xavier lit up. "No one has badder hair than Padme!"

"Worse hair?" Adam said, attempting to correct Xavier's grammer.

"Oh, right!" Xavier cried. "Her hair is even worser than the Riddler's!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I like Xavier's etymology of the word nun. Makes sense!