Sunday, December 14, 2008

Not dead again ...

... just busy. First there was our Halloween party, then new flooring on our second floor, then Thanksgiving, then Xavier's birthday party, then Xavier's party rescheduled ...

Anyway, we're fine and looking forward to the holidays. On our travels over Thanksgiving, we listened to "The Hobbit" on DVD in the car. Xavier found himself drawn to the character of Golom (who isn't)? He asked us some questions about Golom, and this morning one thing led to another, and I ended up showing the kids a few "harmless" scenes from the Lord of the Rings Two Towers movie.

I say "harmless" in quotes because Xavier now aspires to be Golom, evidently. He spent much of the morning running around the house on all fours saying, "My precious!" and emulating some of the character's charming ticks. He even disassembled a bicycle horn so he would have a "ring" to wear. Actually, it is kind of scary how well he can carry off the act.

Evidently, Xavier has not been honing his tact skills, either. Last week, he looked up at me and said, "Mom, you have a LOT of smile lines. You look like an old apple!" I laughed, then gave him a mini-lecture on how women don't like to be described as "Old." I can tell the lesson really stuck with him ... when I was working from home the other day when he was home sick, he climbed into my lap. He saw a picture of me on the website I was working on (shrunk to 85 by 85 pixels), and said, "Gee, Mom, that person looks a lot like you ... except less apple-like."

I'm telling you, I'm never going to let myself be represented in more than 85x85 ever again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can testify to Xavier's Golom impression. It's pretty accurate!

I once compared my mother to food when I was a child. I was feeling her calves which were quite smooth.

"Mom, you have hot dog legs!"

I truly, honestly meant it as a compliment. I was thinking of the smoothness of an uncooked hot dog.

She did not follow my train of thought, however, and told me, "That not very nice."

Who wouldn't want to have hot dog legs? :)

Mandy said...

Yeah, well, you notice I didn't talk about what he says about my gluteous maximus. Let's just say he isn't shy about putting the MAX in MAXimus.

Unknown said...

Hahaha!