Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I know, we're two weeks into the new year. But the fact of the matter is, every year I resolve to lose twenty pounds, and I am always defeated during the first week by my birthday (who can say no to birthday cake?) So this year, I decided to postpone the new year by two weeks.

In addition to the usual resolution, I resolved this year to be a more responsible parent. This means swimming lessons for the kids. Off to a flying start, we have already missed the first class (because I didn't look into it in time ... guess that's a problem with postponing the New Year for two weeks.) Gwen is cautiously optimistic about taking swimming classes. Xavier (aka "The kid who never puts his face in the water ... ever") has been asking me every day since I brought it up, "Are we going to swim lessons today? I can't wait to start swimming lessons!" Groan ... it's a long way to Saturday.

Gwen came up with a whole list of resolutions for 2008.
1. Make my bed.
2. Get my work done on time
3. Read more books
4. Be kind to my friends
5. Feed my pets
6. Help my Mom and Dad
7. Smile, laugh, and dance more
8. Make the world more beautiful
9. Recycle, reduce, reuse
10. Exercise and eat healthy foods

I think this is, for the most part, a very laudable, and may I say, achievable list. I'm not sure about #4 up there (after all, do we make a practice of being mean to our friends?), and she'd better do #5 ... on the other hand, I think she can achieve #8 just by doing #7. And #9 wouldn't hurt, either.

Speaking of #9 ... in Xavier's preschool class, they came up with a wish list for 2008 (so instead of resolving to lose weight, I can just wish for it. Ah, were it that simple!) The list included a lot of funny (but not unexpected entries):

"I wish it would snow a lot so we can go sledding."

"I want a baby sister." (Not sure that boy's mother had the same wish.)

"I want to play with my friends more."

"I want a Wii."

"I want to teach people to be ecofriendly, so they will stop killing animals, destroying the environment, and causing global warming."

I didn't think it was possible to overemphasize environmentalism in the home, but looking at Xavier's wish -- the last one -- I begin to wonder if I have gone overboard.


A new year is a time of transition, and one of my coworkers, Jim, is transitioning right out of my company, which I will call, for the sake of semi-anonymity, "Midas". Jim and I have been working together for six years now (two years at "Midas" and four years at our previous job), so I am kind of sorry to see him go, but it will be a good opportunity for him. In honor of his last days at "Midas", we had a "Chili Day" today at work (and, boy, was it apt, because it was freezing.) For those unfamiliar with the concept, on "Chili Day" all the employees contribute an ingredient and we cook chili in crockpots until lunchtime.

Before lunch, I hurried to Xavier's school to pick him up, and as I walked with him to the car, his warm little hand in mine, I commented, "I love holding your hand." Then, teasingly, I asked, "Will you still hold my hand when you are a grown-up, or will you be too cool to hold hands with your mom?"

Xavier pondered this briefly. "I'll still hold your hand, Mom, but we won't get to do it as often."

"I guess that's to be expected," I replied with a shrug.

"Yeah," he continued, "because when I'm a grown-up, I'll have to get a job, and we probably won't be working together, because there is no way I'm going to work for Midas."

I don't think I'd better probe too much into his reasons for that. Maybe I should resolve in 2008 not to talk so much about work when I'm at home.

No comments: