Thursday, January 25, 2007

Test

Gwen will be taking her test for her yellow belt in Kempo Karate on Saturday. Xavier would be taking his test on Saturday as well, except that he has a cold and asthma, and we don't think he is up to the physical portion. So he'll be testing next month, which is probably just as well, because this will give Gwen the impression that her hard work (and she does work hard) gives her the edge over Xavier (who, admittedly, would probably win in a fight, but doesn't pay as much attention.)

Xavier had his four-year visit to the Pediatrician's office on Friday. Despite my best efforts, he had to put his hands on every horizontal surface at the doctor's office, so it is a complete mystery how he got sick. Anyway, the day before his visit, I reminded Adam that Xavier had this appointment and asked him if he was going to be able to make it.

"Well, if you're too busy, I guess I could take him," Adam said reluctantly.

"I was planning to attend anyway. After all, we have a lot of questions about his asthma. But if you're too busy, I guess I can take him by myself."

"Well, if you could do that, it would be better for me," Adam said.

I thought for a moment, then said, "Wait a minute -- aren't you coming over to play cards with Naveed at lunchtime?" Naveed works with me, and he and Adam have a standing date to play Magic the Gathering on Fridays over lunch.

"Yes ..." Adam admitted.

"Well, if you could pick Xavier up at school and bring him with you, then that would save me some time." I suggested.

Adam looked a little crestfallen. "That will make me late for cards."

"That's okay," I said. "I'll let Naveed know."

So, that's what we did. Xavier and Adam arrived at 12:15 or so, but Xavier's appointment wasn't until 2:15. For awhile, he played cards with Adam and Naveed, but after Adam left he was more interested in hanging out with my coworkers than with me (male bonding stuff.) He really liked a white board behind Christian's desk, and Christian was amenable to him playing there, so he drew on the white board for awhile. Christian wrote his name on the board (Xavier's, not Christian's) and encouraged him to practice writing it (or "drawing it," as Xavier put it.) It was strange, because just that morning I was bemoaning the fact that Xavier could not write his name yet, and he is four years old.

2:15 rolled around, and Xavier and I made a mad dash for the pediatrician's. After the hearing test (probably normal), and the vision test (normal), the pediatrician tested his mental development. Handing him a pen, she said, "Draw a circle for me."

He did.

She said, "Draw a box for me."

He did.

She said, "Write your name for me."

"I don't think --" I started, but Xavier wrote out X-A-V-A-I-E-R. Pretty close, given that the day before he was signing things with an "X" (it's a cowboy thing.)

The moral of this story is: clearly I need to hire Christian to handle all of my preschool needs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I know that you are proud.

Mandy said...

We are. Gwen did a great job enduring the two-hour test. No one looked prouder than her when they had the promotion ceremony.

Most of the kids promoted with her were about her age. I'm kind of curious to see how it goes next month with Xav, because he has the attention span of a gnat.

Mandy said...

Actually, on second thought, gnats can be pretty persistent ...