Thursday, December 14, 2006

Transformer Trauma

The kids' Karate instructor asked them today what they wanted for for Christmas. Gwen mentioned that she wanted a metal detector (National Geographic makes one for kids), and Xavier said he didn't know. The Instructor said, "I bet you have Transformers on your list!" Xavier is always bringing Transformers to karate class to show "Constructor Hoy."

As Xavier nodded, "Constructor Hoy" said, "You know, when I was about Gwen's age, I loved Transformers, too. I used to have one that was about this tall ..." indicating a height of about a foot "... that looked like a Jet Plane --"

"Was it JetFire?" Xavier interrupted excitedly.

"Yes, it was," the karate teacher continued. "It was really cool, but guess what happened? When I went off to the Air Force, I left my Transformers at home, and when I got back, I found out that my mother had given them all away."

Just then, the teenaged students arrived for the Youth Class, and I needed to hurry the kids home so I could get ready for the adult class, so I loaded them into the car. Evidently Xavier was more affected by the teacher's story than I knew, because as we were driving home, Xavier asked, "Mommy, why did Constructor Hoy's mother give away his Transformers?"

Me: "Well, honey, he was a grown up and I guess she thought he didn't want them anymore."

Xav: "But why?"

Me: "Well, sometimes parents do that -- they throw things away that their kids don't need anymore."

Xav: "SHE THREW THEM AWAY?!?!"

Me (quickly): "No, no -- she gave them away."

Xav: "Can I have them?"

Me: "No, someone else already has them."

Xav: "Constructor Hoy's daughters?"

Me: "No, I don't think so. Constr- I mean, Instructor Hoy has a brother and a nephew -- maybe one of them got them."

He fell silent for a few moments, then asked, "Can we go visit Constructor Hoy's brother and nephew so we can play with his Transformers?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least I know they are listning